Friday, June 13, 2008

Alpine's Best Kept Secret


Last weekend my friend Lisa and I took her kids and my niece to The Fairy Festival in Alpine. Lisa was the one that had heard about it and being that my niece loves fairies, it seemed liked a fun idea. We dressed the girls in their fairy outfits and headed to Summers Past Farms in Flinn Springs. If you are a native San Diegan and don't have a clue where I am talking about, it's okay, neither did I. Another way of saying it is get on 8 east and then take the Harbinson Canyon exit, follow the Old 80 Hwy, and pay attention to the addresses on the left hand side.

I have to admit, I had no idea what to expect. I had visions of my neice and Lisa's kids being the only ones there. Boy, was I wrong. Soon hundreds of little fairies with their parents came walking in. Cars were lined up along Hwy 80. It was quite the frenzy.

We starting by walking around and looking at the fairy gardens. Kids and adults have the opportunity to submit their own fairy garden that they created to be judged.



Then, they gather all of the kids and formed a parade in which the Fairy Godmother lead the kids through the gardens. The Fairly Godmother then gathers the kids onto the grassy area and tells them a story. After that, since we didn't buy tickets to the garden tea party, we decided to leave. I was really surprised by how many families came. This is an annual event so next year we may get the tickets to the tea party.

Overall, it was a fun experience. Summer's Past Farms have monthly activities there showcasing the beautiful gardens they have. If you are interested check out their website here http://www.summerspastfarms.com/fairygardens.htm

We ended our day eating our packed lunches at the Lake Murray. It was a fun day.

2 comments:

Julie said...

This is such a wonderful idea...I wonder if our botanical gardens might do it here (we are in south Florida)! I was in San Diego last June, and had a wonderful time, although we didn't get to see any fairy gardens!! Sadly.

Jamie D said...

That was kind of you to leave out the detail that your poor niece was STILL dressed like a fairy at your picnic...yeah, she was THAT kid...hee hee. You are a super fun auntie!